“Lincoln” Movie Review

Well-known director Steven Spielberg has created another masterpiece of powerful historical nonfiction. Lincoln, starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Field, takes place during the rage of the Civil War and the debate to emancipate slaves.

Thousands are dying in the war, and Democrats run the majority of the House of Representatives, which means the 13th amendment to free the slaves will be difficult to pass. Lincoln, burdened with family difficulties along with the country, pushes on—determined to pass the 13th amendment, which he knew would end the war. The solution, Lincoln believes, is to get Democrats to vote for the amendment. The day of the vote is the climax of the movie: when the fate of slaves is determined.

This film was brilliant. Steven Spielberg is a true artist of cinema. The flow of the story was well written and well portrayed. The emotion of the movie was incredible, and the theater was silent when the movie faded to credits. From the impact of the war to President Lincoln’s personal burdens, you truly get a feel for everything the real Lincoln had to deal with. You can see that President Lincoln was a family man, and he loved his boys. And he loved his wife. It’s shown throughout the  Strong, silent, Lincoln was a notable character in American history.

Another wonderful aspect of the movie was the acting. Daniel Day-Lewis (Last of the Mohicans, 1992, There Will Be Blood, 2007) performed Lincoln’s character with impeccable accuracy and emotion. He looked so much like Lincoln, too. It’s amazing what makeup can do. Sally Field (Forrest Gump, 1994, Mrs. Doubtfire, 1993) played his wife, Mary. She is such a talented actress, and the character was wonderfully portrayed. David Strathairin (Lincoln’s Secretary of State), Tommy-Lee Jones (Thaddeus Stevens) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Robert, Lincoln’s eldest son) also had magnificent performances in this movie.

Finally, we must give Steven Spielberg credit for the historical accuracy of his production. Spielberg researched everything he put into the film. He threw in facts about the events that most people didn’t know. Some directors distort history and add things to make the movie “better.” But you can trust what happens in Spielberg’s films. And I learned a lot from his film about the 13th amendment, slavery, and even the legislative system (in the 1860s). With those facts in mind, it makes the film more authoritative and powerful.

I would definitely recommend Lincoln to anyone who loves a well-made, powerful movie. The ending has a great impact on your view of the Civil War and President Lincoln. From the emotion, to the acting, to the historical accuracy, Lincoln is another masterpiece playing in theaters now.

Go see it.