The School Newspaper of Vista Ridge High School

The Word

The Word

The Word

Share

The Oscars

The Oscars is the motion picture event of the year. Hollywood comes together on one special night to show appreciation and to be congratulated on their accomplishments.
Oscars are schedule is air Feb. 24 at 7:30 pm on ABC, hosted by Seth MacFarlane.
There are several categories and the top five biggest awards are the winners of Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress and  Best Screenplay.
The first top movie of 2012 was The Dark Knight Rises, by director Christopher Nolan. The Dark Knight Rises hit theaters July 20 also on DVD Dec. 4. The movie has several “A-list” celebrities such as Anna Hathaway, Tom Hardy and Christain Bale, the movie is the conclusion to the Batman trilogy and how everything has led up to that moment.
Les Miserables was another top movie of 2012. It was directed by Tom Hooper and starred Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway. It was released in theaters Dec. 25. Les Miserables is based on an ex-prisoner who is hunted for decades by a ruthless policeman, and then he agrees to care for a factory worker’s daughter which ends up changing both of their lives forever.
Skyfall was another 2012 favorite movie. Directed by Sam Mendes, it featured Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem and Judi Dench. Skyfall opened Nov. 9 and will be on DVD March 12. Skyfall is a movie about loyalty and testing people’s ability to undertake pressure.
Django Unclained directed by Quentin Tarantino hit theaters Christmas day and immediately became a hit. Django Unchained has a few well-known stars such as Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio. The movie is based on a freed slave who set out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.
Zero Dark Thirty was released in theaters Dec. 19 and was directed by Kathryn Bigelow. This movie starred Jessica Chastain, Joel Edgerton and Chris Pratt. Zero Dark Thirty is a movie about the decade-long hunt for Osama bin Laden after the September attacks in 2001, and then his death at the hands of Navy S.E.A.L.