The School Newspaper of Vista Ridge High School

The Word

The Word

The Word

Share

Back in Command

For most students, school ended on June 1 and started back up on Aug. 27, but not for Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps students. These cadets stayed weeks after school ended to clean up and pack for camp. Some went to Basic Leadership Training (BLT), some went to Leadership Academy (LA) and others to Air Rifle camp.

About three or four weeks before school started it was time to get back into a routine. Roughly three weeks before school started, things fired up. Professional drill instructors came and taught cadets drill new moves and routines.

“I feel that this was a great learning experience, and I am glad I participated because if I hadn’t I would have been far behind in our routine,” sophomore Stephanie Yeatman said.

Staff members and other cadets came in for CO/XO school to learn leadership skills and to organize for freshman orientation, which is where all the new freshman/ first years come in to learn the ways of the unit, all the special opportunities, and about all the different teams.

After the first couple weeks of school cadets got a special treat and met Rear Admiral Shannon, a Navy Admiral who is the Deputy Commander for Surface Warfare and responsible for the support of all non-nuclear surface ships.

“It is nice to know that he is there for the new generation. It inspired me to want to serve my country even more,” junior Tesa Rutherford said.

Shortly after meeting the Admiral, cadets were given another opportunity of a lifetime. Cadets met one of the original Tuskegee Airmen, Dr. Granville Coggs. Dr. Coggs, 87, is an original Tuskegee Airmen and a senior olympics gold medalist.

Most recently, some of the cadets were able to dine and hear from the Commander of all Special Forces in the U.S. Military.

NJROTC is comprised of seven teams: Air Rifle Team, Unarmed Drill Team, Color guard, Armed Drill Team, PT(physical training), Academic and Orienteering. Cadets are given the opportunity to join a team when they join the unit. These teams compete in events called Drill Meets.

Recently the cadets competed in the Hill Country Drill Meet.

“Most shooters weren’t fully prepared due to the fact that it’s a new school year, not enough practice, and pressure because we placed first last year and felt we needed to place first this year too,” Air Rifle team commander, Daniel Seeger said.

Air Rifle team placed second and third overall.

“To better prepare for the next meet we will try not to put so much stress on the shooters and make sure we do something fun as a team beforehand,” Seeger said.

Along with competing, NJROTC particpates in community service projects such an volunteering at the Capital Area Food Bank and local activities, including the Veterans Day Ceremony on campus. They also participate in local parades and charity events to earn participation hours and to just help out the community.

“NJROTC is a great class that helps you better yourself, and helps prepare you for your future,” said junior Sierra DeBakey.