Exchange for a Change

Anna Mersmann, Guest Reporter

Each year thousands of exchange students visit a new country to get to know the life there as a normal teenager, attend school and meet friends. There are five exchange students on campus this year from Germany, Spain, Brazil and France. Each student lives with a different family for a year.

Junior Jorge Fernandez Losada is an exchange student from Spain and said he enjoys his time with his new family and friends. He would like to stay in America.

“I like it. I love it,” Losada said. “That’s why I’ll try to get a visa to stay here for college.”

Every culture has its own value and Losada gets to know the value of America. Even when the Americans are very different to Spanish people. He learns the parts of life in a new site of view.

“The level of life, they earn more money and spend more money,” Losada said. “They just enjoy more here.”

He has been in America for three months and has experienced the school system including football and pep rallies.

Some things are completely new for him.

“Americans don’t mind going to school in pajamas,” Losada said. “I would never do that, but they don’t mind. They don’t mind what happens in the world. They just think about what happens in the area.”

Losada said, European exchange students often get questions like, “Do you have ketchup in Spain?”, “Do you have bread in your home country?”, or “Do you know Hitler?”

“They don’t know something different about Spain except for Barcelona and Madrid,” Losada said. “When I tell them I am from Spain, they think I have to be from one of these cities.”

Students from all over the world can participate in an exchange program, sophomore Austin Scott will visit Germany for three weeks next during summer.

To go on exchange, he had to apply to GAPP (German American Partnership Program) and they opened him a place in their program.

“I want to go because it’s different. I really like to travel,” Scott said. “I am kind of excited.I just love to travel.”

Although he is going to get thrown in a different culture with new people, a new school and a different language, he wants to enjoy his time and learn about the country as much as he

can.

“I wish I could speak German,” Scott said. “I take German class to get a little bit prepared for it and try my best.”