Chief Ysaguirre Arrives at NJROTC

Raeann Fuentes

Chief David Ysaguirre has meeting with XO Hayden Richard

Brandon Hicks, Reporter

Walking in tall and full of ambitions, Chief Ysaguirre stands in the NJROTC building wearing his khaki uniform planning to enforce the core values of the unit — honor, courage and commitment.

Ysaguirre came from William B. Travis High School in Austin in part to be closer to home. While in the Navy Chief Ysaguirre was an electrician for 15 years and then became a career counselor for his last 10 years of service. Chief Ysaguirre’s decision to join the navy was simple and educational as Ysaguirre visited various countries.

“My mother was strict,” Chief Ysaguirre said, “she said go to college or be a priest. So i went to the Navy. I experienced different cultures and learned how to be an electrician. I learned a lot of leadership skills and got to see how other people live around the world.”

Chief Ysaguirre has decided on what value should best be enforced on the cadets.

“Self-discipline,” Ysaguirre said. “Without self-discipline we can’t move ahead and we have nothing.”

Cadets welcomed Chief Ysaguirre and a few met him at Basic Leadership Training in June. From there, cadets saw Chief Ysaguirre for the first time as he instructed cadets from various schools that attended the camp.

“I met [Chief Ysaguirre] at Leadership Academy when he was telling one of his sea stories,” Sophomore Chief Petty Officer Third Class Fabian Diaz said. “Right now he is working with every team. He knows when to be strict and when to be laid back.”

Since Chief Ysaguirre has previously encountered a handful of the cadets over the summer, the expectation is high. Cadets aim to impress and make sure that they become a more successful unit than their rivals.

Ysaguirre has implemented change by enforcing leadership roles for cadets to learn ways to become an effective leader. Ysaguirre has created a competition for the cadets so that they will become an effective and outstanding paltoon (group of cadets).

“[The cadets] are a work in progress,” Ysaguirre said. “They have what it takes, but I need to take them to the next level. ROTC has increased its intensity on these cadets.”

This year NJROTC can look to see some major change in their unit with the acceptance of their new Chief. Cadets are already experiencing change with new leaders and new ideas to inspire cadets to reach that next level.