Students vandalize restrooms

Antonio Cuevas, Guest Reporter

Halfway through the school year, vandalism has plagued A and C-building restrooms causing inconveniences, late students and unsanitary conditions.

Recent vandalism in the boys’ restroom has not only inconvenienced students but also caused up to hundreds of dollars in damages.

Some students have said that those who vandalize school property are juvenile and ask themselves, “Why would a high school student act so immature?”

Many people think that soap dispensers are a cheap thing and that the school can just replace them right away, as if they have spares sitting in a closet somewhere. No, replacing soap dispensers is a costly operation in addition to buying new supplies (pipes, soap, cleaner, etc.), extra manpower, and plumbers to fix the pipes that have been clogged with paper towels.

The school also fears that the vandals will think they can get away with anything, escalating into much greater crimes.  This level of disrespect gives the campus a bad reputation. It makes the campus look bad compared to other schools in the district. While there are not many recorded instances, it’s the velocity of the vandalism that is the problem leaving unusable restrooms in the wake.

When the vandals mess up the restrooms, students who need to use them end up late to class or are forced to walk to another wing or another floor just to use the restroom, causing disorder.

When juvenile students destroy the restrooms, they compromise a safe and orderly environment. Students who use the restrooms can easily slip and fall on spilled soap, causing minor to serious injury. Possibly even costing more in medical damages.

You may thought the video we recently watched in Ranger Time was silly, but it does have a good point. Our student body is the key to prevent this from happening and save us all those inconveniences, a bad reputation, an overworked janitor and school money (which, by the way, can be used to benefit us instead of cleaning up after us). So if you happen to see someone drawing crude drawings on the bathroom walls or something like that, just tell a school official. It’s that simple.