DECA Teams Move on to State Competition Next Week

Sara Peebus, Guest Reporter

DECA had its district competition and 41 students advanced to state, which will be on Feb. 25.

“The competition was at Copperas Cove High School, and we met at Leander High School in the morning,” senior Kristine Chen said.

Each team has a different company or foundation that they support. Chen was in a group with senior Shiuti Veramachineni.

“Our foundation was called sMiles For Sammy, and we had been working with them for three years,” Veramachineni said.

sMiles For Sammy helps medically disabled or challenged children, and encourages families to enjoy every day and to be healthy.

“To prepare for the competition we had to do a lot research and planning. The fact that we had already been working with the foundation really helped us,” Chen said.

Both Chen and Veramachineni have both been in DECA since freshman year. There is a specific Ranger Time for DECA so they both spend a lot of time preparing for competitions and learning about business.

“DECA is great and it helps me prepare for business. I’m almost always doing something for DECA,” Chen said. “It’s my life, and I’ve learned so much through it.”

Not only is it an amazing way for high school students to get a head start on a business career, it is an opportunity to meet new people and make friends with common interests.

“DECA is big here, and VRHS has one of the best teams,” Veramachineni said. “I’ve met a lot of people and made some great friends. DECA is like a family.”