National Honor Society Begins Year with Largest Membership

Catherine Brown, Reporter

NHS chapter had their first meeting of the year on Sept. 3, with 191 members, which is the largest group ever. Last year there were 136.  In 2010-2011, there were 98. The number of members has grown every year.

“I love the numbers, but what I love more is what our kids do,” sponsor Elizabeth Duncan said.  “I think we have one of the strongest and most involved chapters. We really have an organization who has a heart to service and will do whatever is needed in any moment. We just have great kids and they really do amazing things.”

Membership increases every year because more students are doing community service on their own which is one of the requirements on the NHS application.  Also with the increase in numbers in AP programs and students in on-level programs doing well in academics, they get the invitation by having a minimum of a 4.3 GPA. The students are also involved outside of school and take on leadership roles.

“They’re just great,” Duncan said. “We have great kids doing great things.”

The NHS chapter requires 10 service hours per semester, which is the most in the district.  This number was decided on by the officers a few years ago, not the sponsors. The president at the time brought it up, and the officers voted to approve it.  

“Well, it’s Vista Ridge. We have the greatest kids in the world,” Duncan said. “We are preparing them to be the best in the world.”

Mrs. Duncan said the biggest challenge is “keeping it kind of like a family.’’  All NHS members used to be able to do a chapter project together, so they got to know each other really well. Now, because of the large numbers, they can participate in one of three chapter projects each semester.

Upcoming fall service projects include the Fable Fest, LEEF Mudstacle and Buddy Walk. NHS also serves an appreciation dinner to the custodial staff during the holiday season.

“No matter where our kids go , we always get a email or a phone call or something saying that our Vista Ridge NHS kids have gone above and beyond, and they have not only done what they were expected to do, but helped out in other ways ” Duncan said. “We are very, very well-respected in our community because our students do care, and they are proud of what they do. It’s really true.”