Varsity Men’s Soccer Takes on Georgetown Tonight

The men’s varsity soccer starts off the season with a 0-1 district record after their first loss to Leander this Tuesday by two goals.  They continue district play against Georgetown today at home.

Even though the team has faced challenges in district play, tournament play has been better for the team.  They Beat Del Valle (2-1) and Dripping Springs (2-1) on Jan. 5 and tied with Akins (1-1). Their only two losses in tournament play were to elite teams, St. Stephens and Sharyland.

Captain Justin Franz said the team thinks they are doing well but also believe they still have a lot of things they need to work on.

“We need to work on finishing; we miss too many chances that we should have easily put away,” Franz said.

But finishing doesn’t seem to be the team’s only weakness; defense has also been a problem thus far with losses to St. Stephens by four goals and Sharyland by two goals.

“Our defense isn’t as good as it should be. We play good defense during the first half but lose it during the second half,” senior Akin Adediji said.

The team’s hopes remain high believing their work ethic and team play will take them far into the playoffs.

“We need to take it one step at a time, and we will start to see our team succeed,” Franz said.