Volleyball Ranked Sixth in State

Coinciding with the varsity volleyball team’s 6-1 start, the Texas Girls Coaches Association ranked the team sixth in the state in the 4A division. The team’s first non-tournament loss came Tuesday against Westwood, as the team lost in four games.

“We don’t always live up to being ranked sixth because we have roller coasters throughout matches,” senior Beka Erickson said. “We will have one very good set and the next will not be good at all. It is something we are working hard to push past.”

The team won their first six games, including the first LISD Volleypalooza tournament.

“The highlight of this year has either been placing at the LISD tournament defeating [seventh-ranked] Aledo – after losing the first [set] 7-25 – or beating Leander at their house,” senior Meredith Crawford said.

While their skills have been a factor in their success, the girls also rely on off -court chemistry as well.

“The best quality of our team is definitely the way we treat each other,” Erickson said. “There have been no problems between any of us so far, and it really shows when we get out onto the court to play.”

Though playoffs start Oct. 31, the team is focused on district play, which begins Tuesday at Dripping Springs.

“Our biggest challenge will definitely be going up against Lake Travis, who won state last year,” Crawford said.

Though the team has its standout players, the girls hope that their success will come from teamwork rather than individual stars.

“There are a lot of schools that have amazing individual players that they look to get something done,” Crawford said. “We have good players that work hard to get things done together.”