Problems at the Ridgeline

Zoë Ortiz

DECA Vista Ridge High School Store

Zoë Ortiz, Reporter

DECA’s Ridgeline has undergone changes in products and services since last year, most notably, the lack of Ramen noodles at lunch. The change in inventory could potentially cause club members to lose money for upcoming competitions.

Current sales are half of what the school store made this time last year. Many of the financial issues come from the lack of Ramen sales, making it difficult for DECA members to meet their in-store goals. The ban on Ramen resulted from the US Drug Administration’s Smart Snacks in School program which focuses on competitive foods — food sold in vending machines, snack lines and school stores. The drop in sales is beginning to hit hard as DECA searches for creative ways to produce the income needed for competitions.

“We can’t serve Ramen noodles because they don’t meet the USDA standards of being whole grain, and they exceed the sodium limit,” DECA sponsor Dana Jones said.

According to the Smart Snacks in School guidelines, there are guidelines for food distributed on campus during school hours, which includes the nutrient rules of sodium limits and whole grain products. Many of the USDA’s standards also limit the number of calories, sodium, fat and the amount of trans fat one snack can have. Schools were expected to comply with new rules by July 1, 2014.

“Sales have dropped dramatically with the loss of Ramen noodles, however sales are rebounding,” Jones said.

Customers can purchase from a selection of chips, Goldfish, fruit snacks, Kashi Bars and Snapple products during school hours,. After school, the store carries sodas, energy drinks, coffee and other snacks.

Many students are beginning to buy more products as a result of the changes at the Ridgeline Store.

“Ridgeline doesn’t compete with the cafeteria because we don’t carry the same products, and most Ridgeline customers are grabbing a quick bite before they take a test or go to tutorials during lunch,” Jones said.

DECA’s new plan also includes the introduction of Blue Bell ice creams.

Customers have been more happy about the variety of snacks after school, senior Matthew McClain said.

One hundred percent of the proceeds help DECA members go to competition during the school year, so the more students spend at the Ridgeline, the more DECA members can participate in activities throughout the year.

“DECA appreciates the support of the Vista Ridge student body,” Jones exclaimed