Top 10 Classic Christmas Movies

1. A Christmas Carol (1984)

This movie follows the story of Ebenezer Scrooge (George Scott), a grumpy old man, who is visited by three ghosts in order to learn what Christmas is really about.

2. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

Do you know what Christmas is really all about? Watch Bill Melendez’s A Charlie Brown Christmas to find out.

3. Elf (2003)

Looking for a funny, yet heart-warming movie? Elf, the story of an orphan named Buddy (Will Ferrell) raised in the North Pole who sets out to find his natural father, is it.

4. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

Considered a classic in every aspect, Frank Capra’s It’s a Wonderful Life is sure to have you rooting for the selfless George Bailey (James Stewart) as his guardian angel, Clarence (Henry Travers), shows him what life would be like if he had never existed.

5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)

Okay, so this one isn’t technically a movie, but many would agree it deserves to be on this list. Based on the book by Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas! focuses on a strange creature (the Grinch, voiced by Boris Karloff) who intends to steal Christmas away from the citizens of Whoville just because his heart is two sizes too small

6. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Although it seems like more of a Halloween movie at first, The Nightmare Before Christmas, written by the talented Tim Burton, tells the tale of Jack the Pumpkin King, who falls in love with Christmas and attempts to become Santa Claus for a night. If you like weird, dark movies, this is the perfect Christmas movie for you.

7. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

Ever wondered about the story behind the classic Christmas song? Romeo Muller’s Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is just that. Plus, it also features some of the other misfits, including Yukon Cornelius (Larry Mann) and Hermey (Paul Soles). Classic.

8. Home Alone (1990)

Being a large yet normal family, the McCallisters accidentally leave their youngest member, Kevin, home alone as they frantically leave for their flight to Paris for Christmas. Kevin, overjoyed at the thought of having the house all to himself, quickly becomes vulnerable when The Wet Bandits decide to break into his house. As bandits are arrested and the neighbor is reunited with his family thanks to Kevin, everyone is cheery just in time for Christmas.

9. The Polar Express (2004)

One of my personal favorites, The Polar Express depicts a young boy who is curious about Christmas. One particular Christmas Eve, he is called aboard a train headed to the North Pole, where he meets other children and a hobo who claims to be the owner of the train and King of the North Pole. Though most of the movie takes place on the train, the children eventually reach the North Pole, where they meet Santa. Santa then gives the boy a tiny silver bell, which can only be heard if you “truly believe.”

10. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Edward Scissorhands, another creation from the mind of Tim Burton, attempts to explain why snow falls through the story of Edward, the unfinished creation of an inventor (Vincent Price) who is kept isolated from the rest of society until a kind Avon lady takes him under her wing. This movie is a must-see for anyone who appreciates a well-done, creative story.