The School Newspaper of Vista Ridge High School

The Word

The Word

The Word

Share

Fall Shows Guide: What to Watch

Returning Shows:

We all have our favorite shows we look forward to seeing after a long week of school. But sometimes we get tired of the same old same old, or find ourselves with nothing to watch on a particular day. So why not pick up a new show to talk about and love? Whether you’re into comedies, dramas, or crime shows, there’s something for everyone on this extensive list of returning shows.

1. The Walking Dead — Zombie-fighting heroes, a romance or two and the zombies themselves: what’s not to love? The Walking Dead, originally a comic book series, is a hugely popular series created by Robert Kirkman and Frank Darabont which tells the tragic yet hopeful story of a small group of survivors after the zombie apocalypse. Much more than just a teenage fad, The Walking Dead is recommended for anyone who loves a good show, doesn’t mind a few gut spills and wants to survive socially. Tune into AMC at 8 p.m. for the latest episodes of The Walking Dead, and stay tuned for episodes of Talking Dead (a commentary of the newest episodes hosted by Chris Hardwick) following every new episode to satisfy your inevitable Walking Dead cravings. If you only watch one show this season, pick this one. You will not be disappointed.

2. The Big Bang Theory — A sitcom, this series focuses on the lives of experimental physicist Leonard Hofstadter (played by Johnny Galecki) and his insanely intelligent but socially inept roommate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper (played by Jim Parsons) and their friends. Season seven premiered on Sept. 17, but it’s not too late to start watching. While you get tons of laughs, you might even learn a thing or two. You can watch The Big Bang Theory on CBS Thursdays at 7 p.m.

3. Bones — While it may not be considered a favorite among most teenagers, this CSI-style dramatic murder mystery series certainly should be. It’s suspenseful storylines include a cannibal killer, the “Grave Digger,” and, more recently, a twenty-something that exclusively uses computers and technology to conduct his murders. Also, the captivating romances are fit for both young and old. Season eight has already started, but for new watchers, it’s best to start from the beginning. New episodes of Bones are featured every Monday at 7 p.m. on Fox. Beware, though, as some scenes can be rather graphic.

4. Glee — Love it or hate it, comedy-drama-musical Glee is undeniably one of the most popular shows of our time. And though it appeals to both young and old, teenagers especially can relate to the fictional William McKinley High School show-choir members, which include the hunky football quarterback, the attention-seeking songstress, the pregnant cheerleader, the troublemaker, the goth and many others going through tough times. The wonderful thing about Glee (besides it’s best-selling soundtracks, of course) is the way the writers incorporate issues such as bullying and homophobia, which are commonly found in real high schools. Join in the Glee debate by watching the show Thursdays at 8 p.m., also on Fox. Warning: the season five premiere (if you haven’t seen it already), which deals with the loss of cast member Cory Monteith (who played Finn Hudson), may cause crying.

5. Two and a Half Men — A funny, sarcastic series, Two and a Half Men is about billionaire Walden Schmidt (played by Ashton Kutcher), and unsuccessful chiropractor Alan Harper (played by Jon Cryer) who share a home in Malibu. Originally, the show starred Angus T. Jones as Alan’s son, Jake Harper, but things have changed to accommodate Jones’ leaving the show and the highly controversial Miley Cyrus is rumored to be the one to replace him after just two guest appearances. But again, she is only one possible replacement. However, with the season underway, it looks like Amber Tamblyn, who plays Jenny, will be the only added regular. Nevertheless, you can check out the show Thursdays on CBS at 9:30 p.m.

6. Grimm — Inspired by the classic Grimm’s Fairy Tales, this show is packed with action as detective Nick Burkhardt (played by David Giuntoli) fights supernatural creatures who threaten the safety of the world. For those who love the Men In Black series, this show was practically tailored just for you, with it’s dark humor and abundance of aliens and alien-like creatures. You can watch it on NBC when Grimm returns for season three Friday, Oct. 25 at 9 p.m.

7. How I Met Your Mother — Another sitcom drama, How I Met Your Mother tops the list solely because of its popularity. Though the drama aspect of it is slightly entertaining, this is not the show you want to watch for laughs, as the jokes are basically regurgitated from the hilariously classic Friends, but in a somehow humorless manner. However, if you have some time to kill, showtimes are Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS. But again, for a funny show, see the above.

New Shows:

Perhaps you want even more variety, or maybe you just don’t want to have to catch up on seasons of returning shows. Or maybe you’re just a confused television viewer, overwhelmed by all the new shows this fall. Well, that’s where this list comes in. Don’t fall too deeply in love with these shows, though, because while we have plenty to choose from, the competition is fierce and maybe the show you really like won’t survive past season one. However, giving these shows a chance won’t hurt.

1. Sleepy Hollow
— Loosely based on Washington Irving’s short story (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow), this intricately designed show centers on Revolutionary War veteran Ichabod Crane (played by Tom Mison) and Lt. Grace Abigail “Abbie” Mills (played by Nicole Beharie), who meet after Ichabod is resurrected due to a spell cast by his wife several hundred years ago. However, the Headless Horseman, or Death according to the book of Revelation, has also resurrected since their destinies are “entwined,” threatening the citizens of Sleepy Hollow and potentially the entire world. Despite (or perhaps because of) the mysterious origins of the protagonist and antagonist, the show is quite captivating enough to earn the number one spot on the new shows list with it’s elaborate costumes and believable characters. Sleepy Hollow airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on Fox.

2. The Originals — A spinoff of the well-liked series The Vampire Diaries, this show takes on a whole new era with the “Original” vampires, Klaus (played by Joseph Morgan), Elijah (played by Daniel Gillies) and Rebekah (played by Claire Holt). A good show for not only Vampire Diaries fans, but lovers of the supernatural as well. Be sure to watch The Originals on the CW, Tuesdays at 8 p.m. if you can’t get enough Vampire Diaries.

3. Dads — When you think of Seth MacFarlane, what do you think of? Funny? Somewhat offensive? In his newest comedy, Dads, MacFarlane creates that same picture, only this time with old men. Not surprisingly, it stars Seth Green as Eli Sachs and Giovanni Ribisi as Warner Whittemore, business partners whose fathers have decided to disrupt their lives by moving in with them. Since the show is filled with MacFarlane’s typical crude humor that many may find offensive, Dads is only recommended for fans of his past works (such as Family Guy and Ted). Nevertheless,

MacFarlane fans and non-fans alike can catch Dads every Tuesday on Fox at 7 p.m.

4. Almost Human — Though it is set a mere 35 years into the future, Almost Human is highly futuristic, with advanced robots that fight side by side
with detectives to serve and protect. It will be produced by J. J. Abrams, the same guy that co-created Fringe, directed Star Trek: Into Darkness, and several other movies, so expectations should be high. Don’t miss the series premiere on Monday, Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. on Fox.

5. American Dream Builders (formerly Renovation Nation) — Competition is quite literally in the house with this fast-paced show hosted by Nate Berkus, which will feature two teams of architects, builders, landscapers and interior designers that will compete for an unrevealed but surely grand prize. Though not as inspiring, but certainly just as exciting, American Dream Builders is recommended for fans of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition or for anyone into home decoration. Though the series premiere date has been indefinitely postponed, potential watchers should keep a lookout, especially since it has been announced that two homes will be given away during the live finale.

6. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — Obviously a show about Marvel superheroes, my apologies to DC comic fans, this show primarily serves to hold superhero fans over until the greatly anticipated The Avengers: Age of Ultron, the sequel to The Avengers, which is bound to make a splash when it comes out in 2015. However, the show is charming in itself, with the return of Phil Coulson (played by Clark Gregg) and the appearance of new characters such as Melinda May (played by Ming-Na Wen), a weapons specialist, and Skye (played by Chloe Bennet), a bubbly computer hacker, all part of a team that handles supernatural detective work. Though it may be thoroughly scrutinized by existing Marvel fans, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is recommended for both hardcore and avid superhero fans, especially since the show has already been picked up for a full season, practically exempting it from cancellation. Catch the latest episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. online or on ABC at 8 p.m. on Tuesdays.

7. Sean Saves the World — Meet Sean (played by Sean Hayes), a divorced gay father who juggles a teenage daughter, a demanding career, and a somewhat overbearing mother, but manages to “save his world” (that is to say, his world of family and work). This comedy, in which Sean is the main character, seems promising and funny enough, though it is meant for an older audience. For those willing to take a chance, Sean Saves the World airs on NBC every Thursday in the 9 p.m. time slot.

Still didn’t find anything you’d like? Check out this complete list of fall shows.