Safety Precautions Implemented as Students Return to Campus

Raiyan Shaik, Reporter

Starting Sept. 8, students and parents could choose to attend school in person after three weeks of virtual learning. With the school opening this week, there have been some major changes to campus safety protocols due to COVID-19. 

“I think schools reopening is long overdue,” senior Paris Street said. “I feel we have been in confinement for long enough, and we need to get back to a somewhat normal existence.”

Students will be welcomed back in three phases. Phase 1 began Tuesday and included Special Education students, ninth grade students, students who lack proper Internet access and children of staff members. Phase 2, which starts Sept. 21, allows 12th grade students and dyslexia services students back. Finally, Phase 3 consists of 11th grade students who return on Sept. 28. Tenth grade students and all remaining physical learning students return on Oct. 5.

“I chose to come back because I wasn’t really learning over online,” senior Angela Rodriguez said. “I didn’t have the motivation to do my work nor listen because there are so many distractions. Physical school is really beneficial for visual learners.”

Students must fill out a health screener form every day before school. The district has asked parents to health screen their children, and students should remain home if they show any symptoms. The health screener can be found on the VRHS homepage as well as through QR codes posted throughout the school. Masks are required at all times.

“I think everyone should wear a mask and stay six feet apart,” Street said. “Everyone needs to keep themselves as safe as they can, so we can keep making personal connections with teachers and other students.”

The district provided sanitation and cleaning equipment to all teachers. Students will sanitize their space after each use throughout each school day.

“I honestly feel that school is doing a good job keeping us safe and away from COVID,” Rodriguez said. “The staff is doing a great job at keeping us healthy. They are taking safety precautions very seriously.”

There are four lunches for physical and online school to practice social distancing. Food can no longer be delivered due to health restrictions. Seats are assigned throughout the day and hallways will follow a two-way traffic system. 

“I think four lunches are a little excessive,” Street said. “It makes it hard to see friends that aren’t in your classes, but I understand the need for it.”

Restrooms should be used during class rather than passing periods, and it is recommended to use the restroom during the latter part of class. Ranger Time tutorials and meetings will be held virtually, and students should bring headphones with mics attached to communicate with their virtual peers. 

“I understand what school will be like based off of what teachers have told us,” junior Gacinda Gallegos said. “They make sure that we understand that if we go into school we won’t have as much freedom.”

There will also be staggered dismissals from 3:54 to 4 p.m. with a class released every two minutes, from oldest to youngest. Further information can be found on the VRHS website

“I’m hoping it’ll be close to before COVID school, but I know it’ll be different,” Street said. “I’m just going in with a positive mindset and hoping for the best.”