Hooked to Dancing

It’s pep rally day.  As the crowd of students cheer the varsity football team on for the matchup against Leander that evening, the drill team walks out onto the basketball court wearing black sweats and hoodies and sets their formation. As the beat of the music drops the crowd goes crazy and suddenly feels a part of the movement. Leading the team is a very detailed, technical and decorated dancer —  senior captain Luisé Hooks.

Hooks began dancing at three and half. Dancing was all she knew. She started with ballet but wanted to keep learning different styles such as jazz and hip hop.  Hooks dances at M.A. dance project and Ballet Austin.

“I really enjoy going to M.A. dance project just because the contemporary classes that I take let me express all of the emotions that I’m feeling that day,” Hooks said.

Her freshmen year, Hooks took dance one with best friend senior Stefani Charpentier. After making the team as sophomores Hooks and Charpentier encouraged each other to try out for officer.

“We didn’t plan who was going for what, but we were there for each other,” Charpentier said. “Being officers has brought us closer. Issues that we resolve together we feel comfortable asking one another, and we have a lot more trust in each other.” 

Hooks and Charpentier made about six routines together. They have not yet peformed together, but this spring they are planning on competing in a duet.

“She is always willing to listen. She is someone I can always come and depend on,” Charpentier said.

At the end of Hooks’ junior year, a sealed envelope was handed out after spring show. That envelope would unveil who would be the officers for this school year. Hooks had been elected captain for the Star Steppers.

“She is doing a great job fulfilling all of the requirements of a captain,” director Araceli Lopez said. “Yet even though she has the title of the captain, it’s not as easy as it seems. There is a lot on their plate. It’s not very easy to tell your peers what to do.”

Lopez said Hooks is unique, energetic, determined, passionate about dancing and very detailed oriented.

Along with being captain, Hooks has won five scholarships to Jump Jazz New York, Show Time, Image Dance Explosion and Edge Cali.

Hooks said she wants to attend The University of Arts in Philadelphia, which is a performing arts school.

Hooks would also love to become a special Ed teacher, work for a non- profit Dance Company and be an intern for Susan G. Komen.

“When I’m dancing I feel that this is what I’m supposed to be doing, and it gives me an opportunity to give other people the chance to dance,” Hooks said. “It just lets me express what I’m feeling.”

View Comments (1)

• J

JordanFeb 19, 2010 at 10:49 am

Okay whoever wrote this is pretty good

Reply