Innovative Ways to Save Money

Being students, we are always trying to make or save a buck. Here a few ways to conserve that cash for later occasions.

Sell/Buy Old Junk

Plato’s Closet, Buffalo Exchange and Half-Price Books are just a few of the many stores where you can sell your old fill-in-the-blank and buy used for cheap. Although they don’t pay very much for each individual item, get enough of it together and you’ll make a tidy profit. If you have a more diverse collection of junk, you might want to try a garage sale or Craig’s List.  Some advice-don’t buy things that touch your body, or go in your mouth, unless the place you get them from is very good about washing them and only buying gently used clothes.

Bring the PB&J Back

The simple joys of childhood are nice for two reasons: they remind us of a simpler time and they’re relatively cheap. Remember when you could run around in the park, playing tag with your friends for hours? Go for a hike with some buddies or duct-tape some flashlights to hats and explore the tunnels close to you or your friend’s house. Find ways to jazz up free activities, like Cave Day, by enlisting some friends and planning to spend the whole day out. Instead of going to Whataburger for lunch, make some sandwiches and a homemade trail mix.

Go Online

Usually you can find what you want for much cheaper on Amazon or other sites, especially if it is used. If you want to save some cash and don’t need it right away, online is probably your best shot. Also, instead of spending money on entertainment, the Internet provides hours of pointless fun that will keep you occupied. Instead of buying a magazine, go to the website. Plenty of newspaper and magazine sites will let you peruse their old stories for free.

Save Your Change

Get an old jam jar and keep it by the door to your room. Whenever you come in, drop whatever change you have. After a couple weeks, you’ll have a few bucks saved up. Get change rolls from your bank and then either bring them to a store that needs the change or back to your bank. Not only will you have some extra cash, you won’t jingle as you walk down the street.

Rent, Don’t Buy

Not only will you save money by renting, but if that book/movie/what-have-you ends up sucking, you can send it back. Also, you probably don’t need a copy of whatever-it-is, since in all likelihood you will never use it to its fullest value.

Be Cheap

It’s a fine thing to loan out some money to your friends every now and again, but if you want to start saving up for that car (assuming Mommy and Daddy aren’t buying you one), don’t lend. Going to IHOP after the game? Ask for separate checks. It can be harsh but your money is your money. Or, in some cases, your parents’ money is your parents’ money.

Get the Daily Special

Look for the best deals, compare one store to another, hunt down bargains. Stores will often advertise weekend sales in newspapers or television. Tickets for concerts or plays are cheaper the earlier you buy them. If you search for it, you will find it.