Teacher Feature: Jentry Vines

Ashley Mack, Reporter

New 10th grade English teacher Jentry Vines adapts to campus and students.

Q: What subject do you teach?

A: I teach English II pre-AP and on level.

Q: What made you want to be a teacher?

A: I never wanted to actually be a teacher. I wanted to be an actress, but that fell through. Teaching is the next best thing because in a way, you are always on stage.

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching?

A: “My favorite part of teaching is observing my students making connections in literature and applying that to real life.”

Q: What is your least favorite part of teaching?

A: I hate grading. It can be so subjective in English. English isn’t black and white. It has a lot of grey, unlike the other subjects.

Q: During your time teaching, what is one of the most surprising things you’ve come across?
A: I was Andrew Luck’s English teacher is eighth grade. He is the quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts.”

Q: How does teaching make you feel?
A: Every class period every day, I learn something. I learn something and then I hope my students learn something. Because of this, teaching makes me feel inspired, because language is constantly evolving. I’m inspired by new thinking. Words and ideas can change the world.

Q: Do you have children and if so, can you describe them?
A: I do have children. My daughter is 11 and is a social butterfly while also being extremely opinionated and fearless. She’s confident and a free thinker. She likes to question things. My 8-year-old son is an artist and poet. They are both very much free spirits and appreciate art and music.

Q: What do you do outside of school?
A: I am my children’s personal assistant. My children are my hobby. I listen to live music a lot. Basically, I spend my time with my kids and listen to great music as much as I can.

Q: What life lesson/advice would you give any student?

A: Follow your curiosity about school and life. Always stay curious. Write as much as you can and read as much as you can because both help you to become a better human being because then you understand human emotion.

Q: What is the best advice you have ever received?

A: I was told not to worry about what other people think, and it’s okay to be different and quirky. It’s okay to take risks.

Q: For you, what does it mean to be a good teacher?
A: You have to be entertaining. You have to demand a lot of your students. You have to make them feel valued and important and respected. Trying to make your lessons purposeful, not just busy work. You have to help them apply the skills they learn in class to the real world. You just have to. To be a good teacher you have to be engaging. We are entertainers and the best teachers are the ones who hold the attention.

Q: How are you adapting to Vista Ridge High School?

A: I love it here. I’ve been teaching 14 years. I think this is an incredible climate and culture at Vista Ridge. Everyone is warm and friendly.