Life as a dancer

Amber Vera, Reporter

Jadyin Nix 10

Alyssa Allen 10
Brooke Bergeron 10

The Star Steppers attend practice in the morning every day and some even take dance outside of school during the week. Sophomores Jaydin Nix, Alyssa Allen and Brooke Bergeron practice up to 15-20 hours a week just being in Star Steppers, on top of taking AP classes. While it is a time-consuming commitment, the girls said they love it so much that they are willing to make sacrifices for it. This is a peek into the life of a dancer.

How do you manage school and dance?

Nix: I make sure my planner is up to date, always trying not to procrastinate

Allen: Between dance classes, I will study and do homework but I usually stay up late doing homework.

What made you want to want to dance?

Nix: When I was little, my mom put me into dance just to try it, and I ended up really liking it.

Allen: Because you can express yourself, and it’s also exercise.

Bergeron: My mom put me in it when I was younger, and I really enjoyed it so I continued on with it.

What’s your biggest accomplishment in dance?

Nix: Making Star Steppers and also in 8th grade I made officer on my middle school dance team

Allen: Me just being on the field is an accomplishment. It’s just so surreal for me because I wanted to be a Star Stepper for so long and to my have my hat and boots is cool.

Bergeron: I have been on many dance teams outside of school and making star steppers was another amazing thing.

Do you ever get overwhelmed with school and dance?

Nix: A lot of times because we have so many practices, and I have homework but I try to keep in mind it’s a good thing to keep busy.

Allen: Yes definitely, the other day I had to do all my WHAP homework that night and I had five worksheets due. But I had practice for Star Steppers and after that, I had dance at my studio.

Bergeron: Yes, but I haven’t been on Star Steppers that long but it is a little overwhelming to have morning practice every day because of football season. That is probably how it will be the rest of the year but it’s fun so that makes up for it.

What is the best and worst thing about dance?

Nix: Best thing is you get to make a lot of friends, and it a really fun experience competition wise. The worst thing is auditioning is very stressful.

Bergeron: I would say the best thing is getting to express your passion through dance. The worst is that dance is really competitive and trying to be and beat the others sometimes that aspect it overwhelming.

What is the most important thing to balancing both school and dance?

Nix: Always making sure you keep yourself leveled and know you will make it and keeping yourself prepared for things that come up.

Bergeron: Be productive during the day so you don’t have to stay up late doing it, do as much of it as you can at school.

Why do you do it?

Nix: I really love it! It’s an art and sport; it’s a passion of mine.

Allen: I took it when I was young, and I just had a passion for it and continue doing it.

Bergeron: I just love to dance and sharing my passion with others. On the field seeing the little kids on the side saying “oh my gosh they’re so pretty!” that just make me smile.

Describe your typical day?

Nix: I wake up at 5 a.m. every morning to get ready, and then I leave my house at 6:30 a.m. to get to school. Practice is from seven to the end of first period then I go to school. After school, I do some homework, and I go to the studio come back and eat then go to bed and do it all over again in the morning.

Allen: 7 a.m. practice and my first period is dance. Then I go to school, I get back and I eat then go to dance for two to three hours, then do homework and go home and then redo it the next day.

Bergeron: I wake up go to dance practice, and it stretches out to first period then we change and go to school. I come home and do all my homework for the next day.