Under the Lights: Varsity Athlete Plays Three Sports

Jaden Garcia, Guest Reporter

Fourth quarter down by seven, senior quarterback Jake Taute throws a touchdown pass to senior Jamil Pittman late in the game to tie it up at 38-38 against San Antonio Churchill in the first round of the playoffs.

“That is why everyone plays football in Texas,” Taute said. “Everyone wants that state championship so when you get a big play in playoffs you’re trying to get that trophy and advanced to the next week, every week we are trying to go 1-0.”

Taute plays football, baseball and basketball; he’s participating in each sport at the varsity level.

“I just like the competitiveness. I like to compete no matter what it is,” Taute said. “It is kind of been my nature since I was a kid, I go into things wanting to win. I have always been open to trying new things.These three sports I excelled in and had fun with it and wanted to play more.”

People recognize him as the 6-feet, 4-inch tall quarterback, but he likes to just go out and play no matter the sport.

“Some of my favorite moments were when [the basketball team was] down by 13 against Del Valle, and we came back in the fourth quarter,” Taute said. “That was the biggest moment in basketball because when the team would get down they would give up or quit and that was one of the examples that showed us that we could get through anything if we just stuck together and played as a team. In baseball, there really wasn’t a specific moment. Last year was fun because I liked the seniors a lot and the guys were cool. But one of the biggest moments was when I was a sophomore and Ganon trucked this catcher the whole benches were cleared because each team was going to defend each other. Because those are your brothers and when something happens to them you want to go defend them.”

Last year, early season injuries forced Taute to fill the gap in the quarterback spot to lead the team throughout the season.

“Being on varsity is more about reps because last year I was nervous being on varsity but this year I have been through it a year,” Taute said. “Once you get a year under your belt you get used to it and you don’t get nervous anymore. You just go out there and do what the coaches have taught you to do and play and have fun.”

His biggest inspiration to play sports is his dad because he himself was very athletic throughout his high school career but played rugby.

“I would probably say I have different role models for each sport but one of my biggest inspirations is my dad,” Taute said. “He was my coach at the beginning and taught me about that sports and how to compete so he’s probably my biggest inspiration. Not only did he teach me the sport he has been there to support me through it all.”

Although he is mostly known as an athlete his hobbies outside of sports are researching and learning about animals. Even though he plays all three sports, he manages to maintain a schedule that keeps his school work involved and his grades high.

Taute plays all three sports, but he said the football team chemistry has built a brotherhood for him.

“I think football has had the biggest impact and making a brotherhood with those guys and the competitiveness,” Taute said. “Football has had the greatest impact in my life as a whole because of how it makes you tougher as an individual. The people that I have met throughout the course of football will be my lifelong friends that I couldn’t see for years, and when I do see them we will pick back up where we left off.”