Rangers for the Cure

In the United States, 23.6 million children and adults have been diagnosed with diabetes, a life-changing disease according to the American Diabetes Association.  

There are two types of diabetes: type one and type two. Type one is hereditary, while type two is diagnosed because of an unhealthy lifestyle. But both have the same results.

However, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation has been working for more than 40 years to find a cure and provide those with the disease a way to reclaim their lives. And walking for the cure can help them achieve just that.

On Sunday, Oct. 31, students will say ‘BOO’ to diabetes by walking for the cure at Mueller Lake Park at 11:30 a.m.

Last year, participants raised more than $550,000 for the Austin chapter for diabetes research, and this year, it hopes to raise more than $557,000.  

“My goal is to raise $750 for diabetes,” senior Alejandra Chavez said. “I know diabetes has a wide range of effects, and I already think it’s going to a good cause to find a cure for type one and type two.”  

Sophomore Spencer Lane set a $3000 goal, and because he has type one himself, he and his relatives are putting forth as much effort to the cause as possible. 

But walking for the cure isn’t the only way to help.

“You can donate anytime to JDRF on the website and if there is another diabetes walk, there will be a team you can join here,” Lane said. 

The American Diabetes Association reports that one in every 13 children will get diabetes if their parent or parents were diagnosed with type two after the age of 50. However, if the mother has type one, there is a one in 17 chance the child will get diabetes if the child is born before the mother reaches the age of 25.

“A couple of my friends have diabetes, and I think it’s a good cause,” sophomore Alex Skipper said. “It would be a really great thing to stop.”

While diabetes has taken over the lives of millions, there can be a very simple solution.

“Lead a healthy lifestyle,” Lane said. “Just be healthy. It doesn’t take a lot.”