Crisis in Libya Causes Gas Prices to Rise

Gas prices have skyrocketed on average of 30 cents in a matter of a week. Oil prices have jumped in response to the political turmoil in Libya. The reason consumers are paying so much is not because of a shortage of oil overseas, but because of the fear of the violence spreading to the U.S’s main oil supply, Saudi Arabia.

Distress seems less relevant to students when the problems are overseas, but many students directly feel repercussions of the problems going on in Libya through their wallets. Some students work more to pay for gas and other things they want to do like senior Haylie Martinez who works two jobs.

“I just got a car and gas is so expensive,” Martinez said. “I drive less than I did before gas was this much.”

Some students have to find other ways to pay for their gas. Junior Shelby Biggs gets his gas money from his mom.

“It’s $47 to fill my tank up, twice a week,” Biggs said. “It costs my mom $70 to fill up her tank, and she fills up three times a week.”

After several weeks, gas prices are still going up, with the nationwide average at  being $3.35 a gallon. Though gas prices seem really expensive now, they are expected to continue rising reaching about $4 at the end of May and $5 by the end of summer.

“Gas prices are so ridiculous,” senior Emma Lynch said. “I feel so awful asking my mother for money to pay for gas.”