NJROTC Promotes Leadership, Discipline

NJROTC is a class designed to teach students skills that will help them later in life, such as discipline and leadership.

“I enjoy that [NJROTC] teaches you discipline. It’s like a big family,” freshman Ryleigh Blanchett said.

Cadets can participate in various teams including the Unarmed Drill Team, Armed Drill Team, Rifle Team, Physical Training Team, Cyber Patriot and Color Guard. The members also participate in various military events such as the Military Ball.

The Military Ball will be held Feb. 18, in honor of the Navy’s 237th birthday, Blanchett said.

However, NJROTC is not just about socializing. It’s about building skills that will be useful later in life, especially to those seeking a career in the military.

“We offer opportunities for members to make friends and have a sense of belonging,” Master Chief Robert Turner said. “It’s something to focus your time and energy on instead of homework. [But] the main goal of this program is to instill good leadership skills in cadets and to develop leadership skills.”

Currently, there are 125 students enrolled in the NJROTC program, including students from Rouse High School as well as Vista Ridge. Students interested in joining should see Warrant Officer Hulse or Turner in C410.

“This program is for anyone who wants to make new friends and become disciplined as well as organized,” Blanchett said.