The School Newspaper of Vista Ridge High School

The Word

The Word

The Word

Share

FCA Kicks Off the Year

Hundreds of kids pour into the gym after the football game — parents, teachers, students and siblings. They crowd into the bleachers and sprawl out on the floor. The buzz of laughs and chatter of hungry kids echo through the room. A vestige of hot dogs and pickle relish swirls around the room, beckoning everyone to seconds.

It’s the aftermath of the big game. It’s Fifth Quarter.

FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) hosts Fifth Quarter, one of the special events that sponsor. At the first Fifth Quarter, about 150 students came and had loads of fun. And it’s grown ever since.

Head Football Coach Rodney Vincent sponsors FCA, and he said he participated in an FCA group in his own high school. It changed his life, Vincent said, and he wants other students to have the exact same experience.

What goes on in FCA? Games, encouraging speakers,  small groups—every Monday night they shake things up a little bit.

“Everybody can come to the meetings —regular students, athletes…the knitting club,” Vincent said.

The FCA small groups will give students a chance to come together and share conflicts and issues they’re dealing with in their lives.

“Whether it be drugs, peer pressure, you name it,” Vincent said, “The kids will help each other through it. It’s very encouraging.”

FCA has more Fifth Quarters planned after big games, and they hope to have a turkey bowl around Thanksgiving.

“We want to develop leaders on campus,” Vincent said. “It’s a chance to come together [and] help encourage students to be good models. If you knew something could change your life for the better, would you take advantage of it?”