Seniors To Celebrate the End

Graduation is coming. And with it—Project Grad, an all-night celebration for the class of 2013.  This program is offered by many high schools throughout the U.S. to keep seniors safe on graduation night instead of drinking and driving.

“In addition, [it] also educates students, faculty, and parents regarding the dangers and consequences of underage drinking,” Monica Hanzel said, a parent on the Project Grad board. “It’s strictly voluntary. But students may attend for free…and 50 percent to 75 percent of the graduating class usually participates.”

This year, Project Grad is at Austin Park & Pizza. Seniors can party, eat, and celebrate for an entire day. And in a safe environment. With more than 400 seniors, it’s expensive, so a lot of fundraising had to be done in order to get a facility to host such a big event.

To participate in Project Grad, seniors must sign up by June 5th, if they want to attend for free. Students registering after that can still come, but they have to pay the late fee of $30. They can also bring a guest for $75.

“It’s a lot of fun. You meet people, celebrate, and you stay safe,” senior Michael Corbett said. “This year, we actually get to go somewhere fun. Do it. It’s a lot of fun. I’m really excited.”

Without parent volunteers, Project Grad probably wouldn’t even be possible. Last year, Hanzel said there wasn’t a whole lot of parent participation, so Project Grad was held on campus.

“Project Graduation is providing our senior sons and daughters with a safe and fun graduation night celebration,” Hanzel said. “This is the last night they will spend together as a class and some may never see each other again. My highlight, [as a parent], will be when I hear just one senior say when it is all over ‘I had fun, and I am glad I came,’ because that student may be the one senior we saved.”

To sign up for Project Grad, download the registration form here.