Band Receives Medals for Winning Third in State

The marching band received medals for winning third at the Texas State Marching Competition on Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Gupton Stadium. To retire the marching season, band had an award ceremony to honor its volunteers and celebrate the season’s accomplishments.

“It was called a band party and each of our names were called . We got our medals, took pictures with our director, and section,” freshman flute player Min Hwang said. “After that we had our last performance and retired our show and took group pictures.”

Two hundred and eighty schools competed for the title win. The first place winner was Vandergrift High School and second place was Cedar Park High School, the bands biggest rivals.

“I would feel the same if we would have won first or second place because it doesn’t matter what place your get,” freshman Justin Humphrey said. “We just wanted to show the audience who we are and give them what they want.”

Being in marching band takes a lot of hard work and determination. Many hours of practice in and out of class. The band has been practicing for this show since the end of the summer and practice everyday after school.

“We had to practice after school and some weekends, and we went to competitions on Saturdays,” Hwang said.

Now that the season is over students will go on with into more individual work for what the instrument they play, they are going to be practicing for their next event which is the holiday concert. Since students will be in new classes they won’t be able to be with all their friends during that class anymore.

“Competing in band was a lot of fun. I really liked the competition we had. I’m going to miss that and being with all my good friends,” Humphrey said. “It was more hard work than I ever expected.”