College Applications Fees Add Up

Fall admissions deadlines are upon seniors as they are trying to get their last-minute applications filled out and sent. Part of the application that needs to be completed is a processing fee.

The reason for this fee is because there is someone in the admissions office reading every single application that comes in. Admissions is a full-time job, which means these people have salaries. But, these fees not only go toward their salaries, they also go toward recruiting. Colleges spend a lot of money on recruiting.

“Fees are normally around $40-$70, but it’s different for each college,” Transition Coordinator Jayme Spexarth said. “Some schools will have free or reduced application fees if you apply early. For example, Abilene Christian University is only $25 if you apply by Nov. 1, after it is $50.”

No application is complete until the fee has been paid. A student may be accepted but, they would not be able to attend until the application fee has been processed.

“I would encourage every senior to fill out the FAFSA. It’s the Free Applications for Federal Student Aid so you can get grants and loans,” Spexarth said. “Most colleges make you fill it out in order to get the college’s scholarships.”