Cheer team supports local non-profit

Mary Craighead, Reporter

The cheer team participated in “The Birthday Box Project”  at the beginning of November.

“The project was a service opportunity presented by a current cheerleader and her family that works with the organization on a regular basis,” Cheer coach Rachel Fisher said. “They explained that there were several children for the month of September that still didn’t have a birthday box for their upcoming birthday and asked if we would be interested in helping.”  

The girls were asked to get in groups of 8-9 people, and each group was assigned a different child. The girls picked who would buy the plates, napkins, presents or anything to make a memorable birthday party for the child, and then everything was put into a box.

Freshman Lauren Sayers brought the idea to the team.

“I figured this would help get our name out there and especially help teach us how privileged we are by helping out the community,” freshman Lauren Sayers said.

The cheerleaders seemed to enjoy the project because they want to participate in more services to give back.

“There are several other service projects that I have contacted recently,” Fisher said. “For example, we are discussing a Christmas date to pull out the cheerleaders to visit Dell’s Children’s Hospital in uniforms and santa hats to help spread Christmas spirit and deliver gifts to children.”

By doing these services the girls are realizing how fortunate they are.

“The Birthday box’s gave us the chance to work together and realize all the great things we have that other people may not have,” captain Courtney Mendez said.