The Sound of Music

Choir Collaborates with Vandegirft, Westlake to Perform with Austin Symphony Orchestra

Haley Davis, Guest Reporter

Choir performed Carmina Burana at Westlake High School Performing Arts Center by combining with rival schools Vandegrift and Westlake on Oct. 26.

“It went really well,” choir director Steve White said. “Getting three choirs together that fast was a big deal.”

Performing an hour-and-a-half long piece, the choir sung with a live orchestra for the first time. The piece was conducted by Peter Bay, and played by Austin Symphony Orchestra.

“The orchestra was overpowered. We usually use Spotify,” senior Sarai Davis said.

Coordinating the three choirs was quite the challenge, and all started when the directors of each respective school started to talk. In time, they decided on the very ambitious decision of trying to combine all choirs for such a large piece.

“Seeing everyone come off the stage with expressions of wonder was the best of the night. The worst was the logistics of it — selling tickets, printing, advertising,” White said.

Overall, the concert was a huge success. Although some students admitted to worrying about passing out from the lengthy lyrics, all walked off the stage proud of the accomplishment.

“It’s never going to get harder after this,” Davis said. “Hard work pays off.”

Prior to the performance, the choir practiced for nine and a half hours, spending almost their entire Tuesday working on the piece.

Next up, is their tour to South Padre, with possibly another collaboration on the way.

“There could never be anything that big again,” White said.