Student Council Promotes Service Challenges

Richard Guo, Guest Reporter

The pandemic has affected many clubs and activities, but Student Council isn’t holding back and still determined to achieve its goals and mission of community service.

“Student Council has come up with several creative activities virtually for members to have fun with,” junior William Anderson said. “The members of the club so far also have been really involved with them, including many challenges and specific fun goals to achieve in each of them.”

Such challenges that StuCo is doing so far include many environmental challenges, where members are encouraged to demonstrate their efforts to help protect the environment. For example, the composting challenge involves members trying to utilize at least three objects for compost instead of just typically throwing them into the trash can in a week.

“My favorite virtual challenge as of right now this year is our week-long composting challenge,” Anderson said. “Especially in the time of importance for conserving our environment, composting would be a necessary activity for more people to do. This challenge is also very fun to me in general; it feels productive to me to make it a goal to waste as less trash as possible.”

The challenges have also made much impact on the community as well. StuCo’s breast cancer fundraiser has raised approximately $1,500, surpassing its goal by hundreds of dollars.

“Our members have very common ground in goals for the community, and we normally stick together a lot to execute these challenges,” Anderson said. “It’s worth it, and bonding really helps us reach our goals in a big way.”

So far, the virtual challenges have been very popular among StuCo members, and many of the members are really engaged and passionate about them.

“The challenges are definitely popular among the members, and I can see many members appreciate them as well in terms of their eventfulness and the fun involved in the activities,” Anderson said. “I know many of my student council friends really are passionate about many of the challenges and are aware of the impacts of them as well. They also appreciate very much the rewards they could get out of it in terms of hours and being active in general.”

Being in StuCo is also sometimes a task of dedication for members to do the challenges for community service hours, but at the same time, it’s very much worth it for them.

“I think StuCo is just right in terms of time needed for the club, it is not too intense, and it is enough to dedicate and entertain my time,” Anderson said. “It is sometimes busy in terms of dedicating time to these challenges and activities, but at the same time, most are very fun to me.”