Customize your own TOMS

On April 1, the art club will host a “Create your own TOMS party” in the courtyard after school.

Created by Blake Mycoskie in 2006, the TOMS Shoe company organized a program called “One for One” meaning every pair of shoes purchased will send another pair to a child in need in one of 23 countries around the world.  The Art Club gives the students a chance to join the movement and create their own unique TOMS. The white canvas TOMS will cost $44 and at the event on April 1 and food and drink will be provided.

“The TOMS mission is a fantastic thing to be a part of and if you buy a pair, you send a pair of shoes to someone who needs them,” senior Ashlyn Kipp said.

Sales opened last Monday and will continue through this Friday, March 11.

By ordering the pair of white canvas TOMS, students will be able to create their own unique TOMS by decorating then with an array of things, Kipp said.

Art Club sponsor, Michelle Taylor, heard about another school participating in this movement and when the idea was brought to the Art Club’s attention, they all agreed that this would be a great thing to incorporate into the campus.

“It’s definitely a good cause and we thought it was really good to get on your artsy side and bring them together,” art club president Emily Callahan said.

Once students receive their TOMS, many mediums of art will be available to use, and food and drink will be provided.

“After you order the shoes, we will get together in the court yard and decorate them. You will be able to paint and use markers on them and personally I’m using string, but you can use whatever you want,” Callahan said.

The event is open to all students who would like to customize their own TOMS.

“We want to get the school involved and create awareness for the Tom’s foundation and those in need,” Kipp said.