Random Ranger: Amōd Daherkar

Leah Chapman, Guest Reporter

Amōd Daherkar 9

What are your hobbies/ interests? I have interests in history, economics, politics, linguistics, cartography and philosophy.

What are you involved in on campus? I’m in the political debate club. We haven’t debated anything yet, but I hope we will next Tuesday. That’s all I’ve done so far on campus for extracurricular activities.

What about politics interests you? In terms of politics, simply all I do is read the news like a couple hours a day, and I make a bunch of judgments based on what I know and make a video of it.

How do you create videos? I use the YouTube platform. I actually basically give a short presentation in Google Slides recording, and then I post it. That’s basically what I do. I do earn a little cash along the way through ad revenue, but that’s not my main goal.

Describe the craziest or best thing that has happened to you since school started? Many things have happened I would definitely say. An interesting experience was explaining to an American in India how Indian toilets work.

How do Indian toilets work? That’s an interesting question. In India you see, traditionally people don’t sit down. In India, there’s basically a hole in the ground in which you would squat that’s typically made out of porcelain and then through the power of gravity the waste flows down through the tube and goes into the sewage system. Although nowadays American toilets have become much more popular.

Are you from Indian? Ethnically my family comes from India, but I was born in San Francisco.

Are your parents from San Francisco? No, my parents immigrated from India. My family comes from the western central part of India called Maharashtra. My parents and family, they come from a city called Pune. A point of significance is it was the Capital of Maharashtra empire arguably one of the most influential Indian empires of probably 300 hundred or some years. It played a crucial role in preserving Hindu influence in Maharashtra central, south, north and north indicate.

What languages do you speak? I speak English actually, and my first language Marathi which is my mother tongue which is spoken in the state of Maharashtra. I can also read and write in that language. In addition to that, I can also speak, read and write in Hindi. I can also read and write in Sanskrit.