Wrestling Advances to State

The varsity wrestling team placed very high at past major events such as Grapevine duels,  duel state and most recently,  the district tournament where they took first, sending 10 wrestlers to the regional tournament.

At the regional tournament on Feb. 12-13 in San Antonio, seven wrestlers including seniors Marshall Gunther (180), Hunter Field (171), John Burns (145), Steven Crossman (135), Israel Bustos (130), Tyler Harrison (125), Cullen Martinez (112) and freshman Kevin Wilson (103) placed high enough to  advance  to state.

State will be held at the Delco Center on Feb. 26-27.

Wilson is the first freshman in the history of the school district to ever make it to state.

“I’m very excited but nervous at the same time,” Wilson said. “I want to do well and come home with a state championship title.”

The varsity wrestling team made school history by capturing a regional title for the first time.

“This is a big accomplishment for the wrestling team, and just raises the bar that much higher and heightens the expectation of what it takes to be a varsity wrestler at Vista Ridge,” senior coach David Pulver said. “By sending eight wrestlers to the state tournament, we have a greater chance of winning the state tournament than ever before.  Also, with this many people going to state, we hope to have multiple state champions.”

View Comments (1)

• S

Steven BrewerApr 30, 2010 at 9:37 am

Cullen Good luck…. I know you can win it all

-C/O ’10 all day every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply