Mens soccer playoff run cut short in overtime loss

The men’s varsity soccer season came to a bitter sweet ending losing to Cyfair, 3-4 on March 22.

The team took a 2-0 lead by halftime, with a goal scored by freshman Amir Oduye and a penalty kick scored by senior Justin Franz.  Cyfair then came out of the halftime gates scoring a goal to change the score to 2-1. Franz then answered back by scoring his second penalty kick of the game advancing the score, 3-1. As it was looking good for the varsity team, all of the momentum shifted toward Cyfair as they scored two goals in a row and tied the game, 3-3, sending it into overtime. Cyfair took the game 4-3 ending the season for the varsity men.

“After the beginning of the second half we should have locked down our defense and scored first that way we would have completely taken the momentum,” junior Aaron Grella said.

However, some players feel that losing was not the worst part about their final game of the season.

“The worst part was knowing the fact that it was all over, and that it was that last game that we will ever get to play with seniors,” Grella said. “The team is like my second family, and it’s hard to watch any of them go.”

Even though this season came to an early end, the team still hopes for the season to come and even believes they will advance farther than their previous season.

“I’m looking forward to next year I think we have potential to good. We have freshmen who have improved a lot this season and should be a great help and there will also be a lot of seniors on the team next year also. Were also dropping down to 4A which will give us a little help to,” Grella said.