Varsity Girls’ Basketball Routs McCallum, Faces Boerne Champion Tonight

After its rout of McCallum Monday, the girls’ basketball team advanced to the area round of playoffs, facing Boerne Champion tonight.

“We really pushed the ball for the fast break, and we did really well on the free throw line,” senior center Chinwe Duru said.

The girls defeated McCallum in the first round of playoffs 77-11, the largest margin of victory in the first round. The girls are now 31-2 on the season and ranked ninth in the state.

“[Head Coach Mike Martin] and the rest of the coaching staff prepare us for each game by having us focus on that one game, and taking it one game at a time,” junior forward Rachel Purl said. “He doesn’t let us get ahead of ourselves.”

Tonight, the girls face Boerne Champion, who advanced to 27-7 with its win over Schertz Clemens Monday.

“We’ve tried to work out every possible scenario their offense could come up with,” Duru said. “It’ll be a tough game, especially if we don’t come in playing the best we can.”

With an undefeated district record and only two regular season losses, the team’s goal is to have a run for the state title.

“The further into playoffs [we get], each win is dependent on the number of possessions you get and who executes the best,” Purl said. “We hope to make the school proud by competing in the most professional and sportsmanlike way possible.”

The game tonight starts at 7:00 at Wimberly High School.