Men’s Lacrosse Recruits District-Wide Athletes

Considered to be America’s first sport created by the Native Americans and adapted by Canadians, lacrosse is one of the most dangerous and aggressive sports in the world. A combination of soccer and hockey, lacrosse is a fast-paced sport that doesn’t discriminate against a player’s height or weight. The only requirement is to have a love for an intense, fast-paced team sport.

Only four years old, the men’s lacrosse team led by parent coaches, is one of the fastest growing clubs on campus. With team members coming not only from this campus, but from Rouse High School and Leander High School as well, this club fosters a lot of talent from all over the district.

“I’ve only been playing for two years, but it’s so much fun,” sophomore Reily Halversen said, the only underclassman to play fulltime on varsity. “I played hockey before I started lacrosse, and it’s pretty much the same intensity level.”

Unlike football and basketball, size and strength do not serve as a large factor in lacrosse and nearly anyone can join, strengthening the number of participants per season.

“You don’t have to be huge or really strong to be in lacrosse, as long as you’re aggressive and like getting hit, you’re good,” junior Tony Ochoa said, a new addition to the team.

According to the official website of Major League Lacrosse, participation in youth lacrosse has grown over 500 percent since 1999. It has been the fastest growing sport over the past 10 years.

“I’d say all you have to do to join is like lacrosse and to be aggressive,” Halversen said. “We’re always welcoming new players, and I feel like this season is going to be a good one.”