NJROTC Recognized by Capital Area Food Bank

As One of the Top 25 Volunteer Organizations

Miranda Matl

NJROTC is recognized by the Capital Area Food Bank of Austin

Miranda Matl, Guest Reporter

NJROTC was recently recognized by the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas as one of their top 25 volunteer groups of 2013. NJROTC tries to volunteer at least once a year to support the Capital Area Food Bank in their efforts to support the poor and needy.

The letter from the Capital Area Food Bank says “Volunteers are essential to the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas. Every day, volunteers support the Food Bank’s mission by sorting donations, serving clients, teaching classes, assisting at special events, acting as ambassadors and participating in a variety of other opportunities. We simply could not do what we do without the support of our network of volunteers.”

Part of the NJROTC curriculum is learning to give back to the community. Last year NJROTC provided more than 4,200 hours of community service putting those teachings into action. “Community Service is one of the primary things that JROTC does,” says Chief Warrant Officer 5 Rocky Hulse, the Senior Naval Science Instructor here at VRHS. “Many people believe that JROTC is a high school recruiting program for the armed services. That simply isn’t true, it is a citizenship, patriotism, and leadership program, and the best way we show that is by the many community service hours and projects that we conduct each year as part of our program.”