German student takes on America

Brianna White, Marketing Manager

Another language. Another school. Another family. Another life. It’s all a part of being a foreign exchange student.
Two days before school started, junior Gerrit Mertin arrived in Austin for his nine-month exchange program from Germany.
“It’s a big change that you have to get used to,” Mertin said.
Growing up in a small house with his parents and his older brother and sister, Mertin decided he wanted a change. Having been in the U.S. before, he wanted to “re-experience the American culture.”
When he was just 4-years-old, he moved to America when his dad got transferred for work. From preschool to second grade he made a life here. Then he had to pick up and start all over again.When he went back to Germany, it was a struggle to get readjusted to the German ways. While there, he was provided with a native speaking teacher because all he knew at the time was English.
“Coming here was important to me because I wanted to refresh my English and learn something new,” Gerrit said.
Expecting not to make a lot of friends and lots of leniency, he came to find the opposite. He was introduced to hard work and experiences he never had before. He said he was surprised at how nice all the people are. He was also met with responsibilities and open arms.
Taking a break from his life back home, Mertin is eager to learn the ways and culture of the states.
“I feel like I’m actually [being taught] something for life, and not just for some test,” Mertin said.