Model United Nations is Born

Catherine Rogers, Editor

Model United Nations, also known as Model UN, offers the opportunity for students to engage in a global perspective of current events and be knowledgeable of world politics and cultures. Sponsored by teacher Annette Parkhurst, co-presidents Jarod Tolbert and Alap Dave have a simple goal: get students involved in understanding the world.

“Model UN, in itself, is a way to get diversified since you can learn about so many different cultures, research countries, and learn a bunch of things,” Tolbert said. “Besides, it looks great on college applications since it is very prestigious.”

According to Tolbert, it was time that the school made this extracurricular organization a reality after realizing that other larger schools in the Austin area such as Westlake and Vandegrift already offered it. With statewide conferences and competitions on the horizon, the organization is slowly beginning to take its first steps.

“I want students to go to the conferences and have a good time, but most importantly, get a better comprehension of what the world is like,” Tolbert said.

As the organization matures, Tolbert has hopes of providing an “international connection” for members at an out-of-state conference in California. For now, he and Dave are actively recruiting juniors to lead the club next year and are determined to make Model United Nations leave a legacy.

Meetings: Mondays after school in Ms. Parkhurst’s room 2513