FCCLA to Host Blue Santa Friday

Joshua L. Didonato

2017 Blue Santa Faculty Basketball Game

Gigi Gallegos, Reporter

FCCLA is hosting the annual Blue Santa fundraiser Friday to collect toys and raise money to help local children have a joyful holiday season. They will have hot chocolate and cookies in the library all day along with the annual faculty basketball game during Ranger Time.

“Our main goal is to raise as much money and toys as we can, and we donate it all to the Cedar Park Police Department, and they do their Blue Santa event and what that does is give families who are in need, toys and food for the holiday season so they can enjoy a Christmas, or a Hanukkah or whatever they celebrate,” FCCLA sponsor Katie Coopwood said. “So our main goal is to always raise as much as we can so we can give back to the community and give to them.”

FCCLA has been collecting toys through the month of December and will take donations up until Friday, with many fun activities as well with treats to enjoy. They also host the faculty basketball game in the competition gym during Ranger Time.

2017 Blue Santa Library Event

“It will be a $1 to go to the game, and then all day in the library, we sell cookies and hot chocolate for $1 each,” Coopwood said.

Anyone can be involved in the event, simply by donating toys little children would love to have, and there is no age range.

“We offer community service points to students who bring cookies that we can sell or students who bring in toys,” Coopwood said. “If you want to be involved in the actual behind the scenes creating the whole thing, it’s our FCCLA organization.”

FCCLA takes Blue Santa very seriously, and compete against different schools and go to win.

“We created a competition with Cedar Park High School because they do a Blue Santa event too, Joshua L. Didonato
and so the police department made this a competition. So obviously, our goal is to win that,” Coopwood said. “And so whoever raises enough money or toys, wins the Blue Santa belt. We have won every year we have done it.”