Yearbook Wins Top National Award

Sammi Johnson & Allison McCain, Guest Reporters

The Lonestar, the campus yearbook, earned a Gold Crown award at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s 93rd annual convention held at Columbia University in New York on March 17.

Out of 1,100 newspapers, magazines and yearbooks submitted to the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, The Lonestar was one of 13 yearbooks nationwide to win a Gold Crown. This is the fourth Crown for The Lonestar staff and its second Gold Crown.

“It was a really amazing feeling knowing all the hard work we put in was worth it in the end,” senior editor Allison McCain said. “All the long hours we spent working in the computer lab paid off, and I couldn’t be happier with the result.”

A panel of invited judges reviewed each publication, judging them on their excellence based on design, photography, concept, coverage and writing.

“Our caption writing and how we interview people has always stood out,” junior editor Jaimie Kim said. “We’re very detail oriented, and we want the book to be the best it can be. Having passion and determination to make the book look great and keeping that goal in mind is what helps us strive for greatness.”

At the convention, CSPA executive director Edmund Sullivan presented plaques to the winners who attended. The Lonestar yearbook’s adviser Jamie Ray attended the convention to receive the plaque on behalf of the yearbook staff.

“It was such a wonderful moment for my students to receive recognition for their work, and I am so fortunate to work with incredible students,” Ray said. “The staff started planning the book almost a year ago. It’s amazing to me how a group of teenagers takes a concept and produces a publication that not only exemplifies scholastic journalism, but also tells the story of the year and serves as a keepsake that students will treasure for the rest of their lives.”