Campus Happenings 4-19

NEW CAMPUS HAPPENINGS  

• Attention Seniors – new scholarships are available!  If you participated in programs at Town and Country, the Town and Country Optimist club may have a scholarship for you. If you are attending Texas Tech a new scholarship is available – “Balanced Man Scholarship”, for up to $1,000 dollars.  Come by the Guidance Office and talk with Ms. Buchanan and pick up an application ASAP! 

•  Last Thursday, the Vista Ridge Bands continued their tradition of excellence, with both bands, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble, receiving Sweepstakes in both concert and sight-reading at the UIL Contest. Neither of these bands has ever received anything less than Sweepstakes since the opening of the school.   Congratulations to all of the band students, as well as the directors, Mr. Ruschhaupt, Mr. Straight, Mr. Gil, & Mr. Christian, for the successful results from much hard work.

•  Attention choir students: there will be a women’s choir UIL Rehearsal after school today in the choir room from 4-6pm and a Men’s Choir UIL Rehearsal this evening from 6-8pm.  Please plan on attending our final UIL rehearsals!

•  Looking at taking on a leadership role next year?  Both Student Council and RADD are looking for officers for next year.  Please stop by C428 and see Mr. Fox for an application.  Deadline is at the end of the week.

•  Seniors, signup for Project Graduation begin this week.  Members of the Project Grad board will be in the mall area this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday during the 3 lunch periods to help you sign up for the event.  Our theme this year is “Ranger Beach” and the event will be held at the school on the night of graduation.  Festivities begin at 11PM and end at 5AM.  We  hope to see you all there.

•  CONGRATULATIONS CASEY FOGEL for being recognized at the HOSA STATE CONFERENCE in Houston this past weekend for his AWESOME Chapter Newsletter. Casey earned the privilege to display his Newsletter at the National HOSA Conference in Orlando, Florida this summer. Thanks to ALL in our Chapter who contributed to Casey’s success by submitting articles and photos – Alexis Lynn, Amanda Hollingsworth, Katelin Purl, Delane York, Mindy Tran, Alisha Alvarez, and Zach Shields! Also, Vista Ridge was well-represented by Taylor Columbus in sports medicine, Katelin Purl and Nikki Horgos in Forensic Medicine, Robyn Yates in Epidemiology, and Mindy Tran as our Area One Secretary.

• It’s not too late to apply to be in Ready, Set, Teach next year!! If you’re interested in becoming a teacher or coach and would like the opportunity to intern at an elementary school next year for 12 weeks, then please come see Mrs. Eberwine in room C421 THIS WEEK to get an application.

• Hey Rangers–Did you know that using 1 rechargeable battery can save up to 1000 single-use alkaline batteries??  Earth Day is in 3 days!  Use this time to think about what you can do to make a difference to our world.  Everyone wear green on Thursday to help remind us all to think about how we use our resources.  Also look for other activities on Thursday sponsored by the Environment Club.  Environment Club members–remember that we have an extra meeting scheduled today after school to work on Earth Day festivities. 

Attention Prom Committee!

We have a meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, at the Doubletree Hotel.  Please meet there at 4:15pm!  Check the planning link for more details please.

Attention Juniors and Seniors!

Don’t forget to grab a guest form if you are bringing a non-VRHS student to prom as it has to be approved by the AP office.  Forms are available outside room 2616.

REPEATS

• Seniors: ACC advisors will be in Mrs. Spexarth’s office (room 1603) from noon until 3:30 PM on Tuesday, April 20. If you have not completed this step in the ACC process, please make plans to attend. You need to complete this step even if you have taken ACC classes in the past and even if you have no immediate plans to attend ACC.

•  Students can pick up an Early Release Permission Application for 2010/2011 in the Guidance Office along with a courtesy copy of their unofficial transcript.  See Ms. Tippie or Ms. Mettala.  Thank you.

•  The Star Steppers are proud to present their Spring Show “Blank Canvas”.   The Show is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday – April 22nd, 23rd, and 24th at 7pm with a 1pm matinee on Saturday the 24th in the auditorium.  Tickets are on sale now for 10 dollars!  Get yours from any Star Stepper, in the dance office, or online at vrstarsteppers.com.  Be sure to purchase your ticket early, with limited seating this event is sure to sell out.

• Sign up during lunches for the Latin Club Dodgeball Tournament, benefitting the Capital Area Food Bank.  The tournament will be held Monday, April 26 from 4-6 pm in the gym.  To enter or to watch, bring 2 canned food goods to room 2619 before or after school or to the lunch registrations on the stage. 

•  Attention all Seniors!  Please report all scholarships offered to you to Mrs. Buchanan in the Guidance Office ASAP.  Bring your letter or notification in so that these can be tallied for a grand total and announced at the Senior Awards.

•  Are you in need of community service or school hours?  If you would like to earn hours volunteer for the Cedar Park Kids Triathlon happening on Sunday, April 25th at Elizabeth Milburn Park.  Please come by room 1709 to sign up or to get more information.   

•  Beginning next week, the Latin club will be holding sign-ups for the dodgeball tournament which will take place on April 26th after school in the gym.  To enter the tournament or even if you just want to watch, you’ll need to donate 2 canned goods which will go toward restocking the Capital Area Food Bank.  Sign-ups will be held during all lunches or you can stop by room 2619 before or after school starting next Tuesday. 

• ATTENTION ALL NHS members: If you are interested in being an officer for the 2010-2011 school year elections are at our next member meeting on April 21 and 22nd. If you are interested in becoming an officer for the National Honor Society, Please sign up in Mrs. Bolin’s room to participate. It is a great opportunity, so don’t forget to sign up!!!

•  The SAT Fee Waivers for the May and June tests are here.  Stop by the counseling office as soon as possible to get yours.   These are for juniors only.  Remember this means you can take the SAT free!!