Threads of Strength: Navigating High School with Resilience and Service

Senior Kayla Rodriguez’s Journey To Life After High School
CADY Studios
“My mother has always been my hero,” Rodriguez said. “I’ve never told her but I call her my guardian angel because she always has faith in me. She believes the best in me.”

An unbreakable bond– a beacon of strength through sacrifices and tears, she is the source of her inspiration. 

“I like to remind myself that it’s okay to be human,” Kayla Rodriguez said. “When I’m struggling with myself or things around me I sit and say, ‘People are only what they think of themselves,’ it might seem simple but it’s true!” 

Through a vibrant tapestry of high school experiences, her story is woven with threads of resilience and love, guided by the hands of her peers, mentors, her mother, but most importantly, herself. The complexity of adolescence is frightening, yet this time in our lives is inevitable. From entering school grounds shielded by our masks to learning how to accept community by participating in FCCLA and AVID, Rodriguez offers underclassmen (and anyone else reading) valuable advice on how to enjoy the most out of these four years and beyond. 

“Helping out with projects like Blue Santa and fundraising money for people in need has always been my passion,” Rodriguez said. “FCCLA has impacted me in ways I don’t think I could have done on my own.”

“My first impression of high school was that I was definitely nervous but very excited to have more freedom and learn more responsibility,” Rodriguez said. “I learned better communication skills, stepping outside my comfort zone, utilizing sources around me, responding to failure, etc. things that are useful when I grow up and do things on my own.” 

After four years of being a part of FCCLA, Rodriguez shares her enthusiasm for the organization and how it has shaped her life, fostering deep connections and a commitment to service. Through FCCLA, she didn’t just find a club, but a supportive community that became a large part of her journey. 

“Helping out with projects like Blue Santa and fundraising money for people in need has always been my passion. FCCLA has impacted me in ways I don’t think I could have done on my own,” Rodriguez said. “It’s motivated me to continue spreading kindness and challenged me to always put my best foot forward in life. I’ve made some lifelong friends in that club and the teachers who run it are truly amazing, I see them as mother figures!” 

Her involvement in FCCLA is a slight representation of her deep appreciation for service, which stems from her greatest inspiration: her mother. Despite life’s ups and downs, her mother’s unwavering guidance has been a constant source of strength. 

“When I get stuck she’s always there to guide me, I’ve never told her but I call her my guardian angel because she always has faith in me. She believes the best in me,” Rodriguez said. “Even talking about her makes me tear up because she is such a strong woman. Her sacrifices are who make me the person I am today and I seriously don’t know what I would do without her. She’s the only person that gets me even when I don’t understand myself.” 

Before threading a new string in her life, which will consist of partaking in rigorous work in the Air Force Academy, Rodriguez shares valuable advice with younger generations. 

“Take classes that you necessarily wouldn’t have interest in because there are a lot of cool classes. Be yourself. I regret trying to be somebody else for other people,” Rodriguez said. “Have fun because high school is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so take the classes, take extracurriculars and clubs. Go out of your way to do acts of kindness for other people and be kind to your teachers.”