Blue Santa: Welcome to Whoville

To benefit Central Texas families, Blue Santa and the Cedar Park Police Department is partnering with FCCLA to transform the campus into Whoville tomorrow, Dec. 14 for “Blue Santa vs. The Grinch.”

Faculty and staff members will participate in a basketball game during Ranger Time, and students can pay $1 to attend. All proceeds will go to Blue Santa.

“I first took part in Blue Santa my freshman year,” senior Holly Taylor, president of FCCLA said. “I really liked it and decided to keep doing it as part of FCCLA. It actually became a traditional thing and, because of our efforts, we have been abundantly blessed.”

Although Vista Ridge has been one of the many Austin-area toy drop-off sites for Blue Santa for many years now, many students don’t know much about it. To remedy this, FCCLA decided to host the basketball game as well as encourage the entire student body to dress up as Whoville characters for the game.

“We decided to have everyone dress up as Whoville characters to get more people involved and get more people to support Blue Santa,” Taylor said. “We want students who didn’t know about it to ask them why they’re dressed like that, so that word spreads and students get in the Christmas spirit.”

Blue Santa is a program that helps struggling families to provide new and gently-used toys to their children.

Students can do their part to help those in need by donating toys, making donations or purchasing tickets for the game on Friday, FCCLA sponsor Anita Martin said.

Bring a dollar and see your Ranger Time teacher to get a ticket.

“If I could say one thing to the families it would be happy holidays and have a great year,” Martin said.