The School Newspaper of Vista Ridge High School

The Word

The Word

The Word

Share

COOL Week Offers Seniors Work Experience

COOL week is Feb. 3-7 and offers seniors the opportunity to participate in an internship.

This year about 70 seniors are signed up. Seniors get to choose the line of work for their internship.

“I think that seniors should participate because having work experience really helps with getting into colleges,” transition coordinator Jayme Spexarth said. “It also gives them a chance to experience their desired line of work before having to stick to it. They can decide whether or not they really want to do it.”

Other students get a five-day weekend while participating seniors get up and go to work, but not without benefits.

“It looks good to colleges that they’re applying to when they have work experience already,” Spexarth said. “Internships are a great way to increase your chance of getting into a certain college.”

Its important for a student to know what direction they’re heading in before attending college.

“A saying we like around here is ‘College is an expensive place to find out what you want to be when you grow up’,” Spexarth said. “COOL week allows you to explore where you’re going so you have an idea.”

Some participating businesses are the local Fire Department, KVUE News and National Instruments.

“I think that other seniors should participate because it really helps to get into good colleges,” senior Christina Bloodgood said. “I would definitely recommend it. It’s a great opportunity and I’m glad that I’m participating.”