History in the Making

For the first time in school history, the varsity football team opened their season with a 3-0 start.

“It feels great to be winning this year not only because of our record but because now it seems like we have more students and faculty behind us at the games and more support through the school day, instead of how nobody wanted to admit they went to our school because of the football team,” senior running back Chris Showels said.

In past seasons, the varsity team had difficulty making things click, however this year, the undefeated record speaks for the team’s efforts.

“The main reason for our team’s success this year is that we are more focused on playing the game and coming together as a team,” Showels said. “Like coach Vincent says we have great team chemistry, and we believe in one another which is what a football team has to do to win.”

A setback occurred in the season opener against Hendrickson when starting junior quarterback Blake Estes broke his left hand. With Estes out for three weeks, junior backup quarterback Kyle Sullivan led the offense against Harker Heights and Del Valle.

“I knew I would do fine because I had the whole team supporting me and telling me how much they believed in me,” Sullivan said.

Estes helped Sullivan learn all the plays and read the defense at just a glance.

“I worked with him all day during practice teaching him how to keep his cool under pressure and how to forget the bad plays so he could just move on to lead the team to a win,” Estes said. “I never once worried about Kyle being able to perform in game time because he was willing to listen to Coach Brown and myself on everything that it would take to perform at a varsity level as a quarterback.”

The team faces McCallum tonight at Gupton Stadium in hopes of extending its winning record to 4-0.