‘Into the Woods’ Opens New Performing Arts Center

Months of preparation, hours of rehearsing, over a year of construction, the combined effort of hundreds, and about $10 million. That’s all it took to bring the latest production of the fine arts department, “Into the Woods,” a musical featuring characters ranging from Cinderella to Little Red Riding Hood, to the brand new performing arts center.

The days of cramming audiences into the “cafetorium,” a less than desirable facility for anything more than eating lunch, are now over. A lot of money and a lot of patience were needed, but the facility has finally reached its completion, and the musical will be the first production to take advantage of the new multi-million dollar edifice.

“It means a lot to have worked on the first production in the new auditorium,” senior costume head Trey Booker said. “I’ve been part of the theater department for all four years, and we’ve been waiting to use this facility for a really long time.”

The musical tells a story of a baker and his wife, who must venture into the menacing woods to recover several items which will lift a curse that has been cast on their home by a witch. The play’s two acts are completely disparate, with a valuable lesson to be learned by the final curtain. Senior Courtney Berry, playing the part of the wicked old witch, knows full well how much time and effort has gone into this production.

“It’s basically a part time job,” Berry said. “We had an eight hour rehearsal last Saturday, and we’ve been putting in almost 15-20 hours a week. Most kids in high school don’t even work that much. It’s always a lot of work and a lot of effort, but seeing it all come together in the end makes it all worth it.”

As the first production to be shown in the new facility, “Into the Woods” may be seen as important, but what makes this musical all the more special is that it is a collaborative effort between the entire fine arts department, not just theater.

“[Mr. Delaurier’s tech classes] made the set for the play, while the choir directors are directing the sound and the band is playing the music for the show,” Berry said. “It really enhances the whole experience and makes the whole production feel a lot more professional.” 

With the first show now only days away, the months of preparation and rehearsing are winding down. A little fine tuning and final improvements are all that’s left before the doors of the 400-seat auditorium are finally opened.

“Everyone involved in the show has put in so much,” Berry said. “Sweat, blood, you know, the works. We’re all really excited to see the final product.”

“Into the Woods” will be showing in the new auditorium Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Feb.  4, 5 and 6 at 8:00 p.m., with an additional afternoon matinee Saturday at 2:00. The Grand Opening Ceremony for the new PAC will be at 7:45 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 5.

View Comments (1)

• D

Dona DyeFeb 1, 2010 at 9:49 am

HI – thanks for the great publicity for the show. Side note; Mr. Delaurier and his tech classes built the sets, not Mrs. Taylor’s Art classes. Some of her art students did some detail paitning for us. Thanks

Reply