The Gold and Silver Keys to Success

LISD Art Show on March 23 showcased student’s winning pieces
Lilli Dumra
The LISD Art Show brought families and students from all over on March 23 to view in awe some amazing pieces.

This past March, many students from Vista competed and showed off their art in the Regional Scholastic Art Awards, and 21 students won awards. Three students won the Gold Key Award, eight won the Silver Key Award, and 10 got honorable mentions. 

World In Numbers by Carly Klein

Junior Carly Klein was one of the winners of the Gold Key Award, for her piece, World In Numbers. These pieces the artists worked on took many months, and in Klein’s case, her work was in the digital artwork category. Her process is long, tedious, and takes a lot of work and concentration.

“For this piece, the process started with my art teacher, Mrs. Stremple assigning a portrait project and I knew I wanted to draw glasses/a matrix,” Klein said. “I took a reference photo, sketched it on my iPad in Procreate, added flat colors, then rendering (drawing on top of sketch/colors for the final image),” Klein said.

Tranquil Bluebell by Arianna Hincipe

Junior Arianna Hincapie was one of the winners of the Silver Key Award for her piece, Tranquil Bluebell. This piece was in the drawing and illustration category. Every detail was carefully and thoughtfully drawn, and since it was done straight on paper, any mistakes were permanent. 

“My favorite moment was formulating and sketching out the piece and bringing it from my imagination onto paper,” Hincapie said. “I also really enjoyed adding final details as it brings everything together and makes it more realistic,” Hincapie said.

Counting Sheep by Sophia Lofton

Junior Sophia Lofton received an honorable mention for her piece, Counting Sheep in the drawing and illustration category. The work done by these artists can be very personal, and emotional, and teach the artists many things about their process and themselves. This was the case with Lofton’s drawing.

“In this piece, I furthered my understanding of composition in my pieces,” Lofton said. “By arranging the sheep and the numbers repeatedly I learned to further create a rhythm in my art!” Lofton said.