South Korean Ferry Tragedy Unexplainable

Allen Cui, Reporter

Recently, a really bad accident happened in Korea on March 16. The Sewol ferry sank in the ocean. Most people on the ferry were students and teachers. They were on a field trip from school. On March 16 at 8:58 a.m., the bottom of the ferry broke. Also people said the ferry sank because the weight was over limit. When the ferry turned, it sank. The water kept going into the ferry, so it sank 70% in an hour. The police got the SOS sign after the ferry sank in an hour.
I said to myself, “No. This is terrible. No one can survive a whole hour under water.”
So a lot of police and emergency responders tried to search under the ocean. They didn’t find bodies or people still alive in couple hours. But they found exactly where the boat sank.
There were 476 people total. The Korean government said they’re sure 171 people passed away, and they are unsure about 130 people. I think those 130 people are gone. But I pray in my heart, and hope they have someway to survive.
A couple days ago, Korea posted another story that shocked people. The principal of that school committed suicide. The reporter said the principal killed himself because he felt guilty because he was the one person who survived from the boat. After he survived, he wrote a letter that said, “I can’t live alone now. I made the travel. It’s my fault those students are dead. I’m sorry.”
I feel terrible for him. But I think he just can’t face it. Like the Titanic ship, the captain killed himself too. I’m also thinking how can so many people didn’t swim out of the boat. A lot of them should have known the boat was sinking. Maybe I won’t ever understand. I just hope the people dead didn’t go in a lot of pain.
Some survivors said there was one teacher who yelled, “let important teachers and principal be safe first!” This made so many people mad because they think students should be saved first.
From this news, we can learn everything can be dangerous. How you face a situation might make everything different.